My sister is home for the weekend and she looooves lemon bars. It was an easy pick today when I had time on my hands and I felt like baking. :)
- 1 1/2 sticks (170g) butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees (180 C). Process all ingredients in a food processor (I don’t have one, so I just picked up the bits of butter, and rubbed them with the flour between my fingers) until mixture begins to form small lumps. Sprinkle into a 13- by 9- by 2-inch baking pan and press evenly onto bottom with a metal spatula. Bake shortbread in middle of oven until golden, about 20 minutes.
While the shortbread is baking, prepare the lemon topping:
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (3-4 lemons)
- 1/3 cup flour
Whisk together eggs and sugar in a bowl, then stir in lemon juice and flour.
Pour lemon topping over hot shortbread when it comes out of the oven. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees (150 C) and bake in middle of oven until set, about 30 minutes. Cool completely in pan and cut into 24 bars.
- I made the shortbread in my kitchen aid with the paddle attachment. I turned it up on medium-high to break everything up into small pieces since I don’t have a large food processor. I poured it into the pan and lightly patted it down into an even layer.
- I would be careful to overmix the lemon topping too quickly. It became almost frothy which effected the way it looked once baked.
- I have never baked lemon bars and am personally not a big fan. My mother, who is not a sweets person, ate two in the first 20 minutes. You should take that as a VERY good sign. Both my sister and her friend agreed they we’re quite yummy and couldn’t believe how quick it was to make.